There are two types of historic designation buildings can be awarded in Sarasota. Both require application. The first is listing as a National Register of Historic Places property. The second is designation by the City of Sarasota as a locally historic property. Designation does not insure the buildings will be protected from demolition but it does secure extensive documentation of the site enriching our community’s written history, providing recognition, adding to the sense of place it is in and increasing the value of the neighborhood.
National Register of Historic Places Properties in Laurel Park
539 S. Orange Avenue – Sarasota Herald Building – 1925
A 1 story Mediterranean Revival with Spanish Mission overtone masonry, stuccoed, barrel-tile roof with rejas (window grilles) industrial building. Today it is the home of the Woman’s Exchange.
1876 Oak Street – Dr. Walter Kennedy House – 1926 Mediterranean Revival
Designed by noted New York and Sarasota architect Dwight James Baum who is also credited with designing the Ringling’s mansion, Ca’ d’ Zan, El Vernona Hotel and The Bickel House. The home was built by Owen Burns as part of his Washington Park subdivision. Dr Kennedy was a local optometrist.
Read more of its history at: Sarasota History Alive
Which properties are eligible for designation? The State of Florida lists the criteria for eligibility at:
Laurel Park Properties Designated Historic by the City of Sarasota
(Locally designated properties)
1927 Laurel Street – Katie Hale House – 1926 Frame vernacular
Katie Mae Hale was the owner of this home until 1937. She was the wife of a local builder and developer Henry Hale. They lived in a home at 326 Ohio Place in Laurel Park.
1920 Laurel Street – Nash Residence
1630 Morrill Street – Dunnebacke Residence
1944 Morril Street – Lamont House
1876 Oak Street – Dr. Walter C. Kennedy Home
The Kennedy Home is the only property in the district that is both nationally and locally designated.
1911 Oak Street – Lynn A. Curtiss House
1608 Oak Street – Belvedere Bungalow
1616 Oak Street - Lynn L. & Mildred G. Silvertooth
1630 Oak Street – Marable Home
1637 Oak Street – Spanish Oaks Apartments
The Mediterranean Revival style Spanish Oaks Apartments were historically known as Katahdin Court, presumably deriving its name from the mountain peak in Maine.
1675 Oak Street – Jerome K. Martin House
1716 Oak Street – Ella Dula Westermann Tenant House
542 Ohio Place – Taylor Home – 1941 frame vernacular
A typical World War II era cottage, its distinctive architectural features include the corner windows and hip roof design. Two additions to the residence were made in the 50s to accommodate a growing family and to create the look of the latest style in home building–the ranch house.
642 Ohio Place – Bills Home
651 Ohio Place – John and Mary Erbs House
310 Osprey Avenue South – Frederickson House
540 Osprey Avenue South - Frederick & Margaret Meyer House
555 Osprey Avenue South - Joseph Humphries
558 Osprey Avenue South – Warner/Guptil Home
636 Osprey Avenue South – Moses L. Tomlinson House
© Deborah Dart 2013