A landmark in Sarasota and an anchor building in Laurel Park’s national historic district – The Woman’s Exchange. The not-for-profit organization benefiting the arts has occupied the building since 1969.
539 S. Orange Avenue – Building in the rear is todays spanish Oak Apartments
The structure was constructed in 1925 for the Sarasota Herald Newspaper – today’s Sarasota Herald-Tribune, our city’s longest running newspaper. This building, along with several industrial and commercial buildings, and the Sarasota County Courthouse, which was briefly housed on Oak Street, created a pocket of commerce in a growing residential area during Florida’s Land boom.
In the 1980’s the city surveyed and inventoried its historic properties and selected 24 buildings that it felt exemplified Sarasota’s history to be preserved for future generations. Those 24 properties became the first in Sarasota to be honored by inclusion on our nation’s most prestigious list of valuable historic buildings and sites – The National Register of Historic Places. The Woman’s Exchange building is one of those honored properties.